Wollersheim Winery is looking for a culinary minded individual to join our team as a Cook in the Bistro. Being an award winning winery, individuals in this role have a unique opportunity to gain a greater understanding of the wine and spirit making process and the art of wine and food pairing. The Bistro focuses on offering our customers a menu that changes with the season and uses local ingredients.
The Bistro Cook is responsible for the preparation and portioning of food items, cooking a variety of dishes within a rotating seasonal menu, and plating bistro customer orders. This position will assist the Bistro Chef with Bistro service and the daily preparation, cooking, and cleaning of the bistro kitchen and food service area. This position will also aid in the preparation, cooking, and plating of special menus for occasional after hour events. This is a part-time position working weekday and weekend day shifts, Thursday-Sunday, with some flexibility. Individuals must be at least 18 years of age, and have the ability to lift 50 lbs.
· Wash, peel, weigh, measure, cut, portion, and prepare food items for serving or cooking.
· Season and cook food according to recipes, food safety requirements, and Chef’s directions.
· Bake breads, rolls, and desserts.
· Heat, prepare, and plate food orders for customers in the service area.
· Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking quality, and rotating stock.
· Store food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage.
· Monitor and record food temperatures.
· Distribute food and beverages to retail team members or customers.
· Answer customer inquiries related to cuisine and pairing.
· Clean, sanitize, and organize eating, service, and kitchen areas.
· Collect and return dirty dishes to the kitchen for washing.
· Clean and wash dishes, glassware, silverware, and other items.
· Assist Bistro Chef with various tasks as needed.
· Other duties assigned as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· High school diploma or GED.
· Must be at least 18 years of age.
· One year experience in a commercial kitchen.
· Experience with registers and Point of Sales systems.
· Advanced knowledge of food safety and food handling procedures.
· Advanced knowledge of food preparation and cooking techniques.
· Ability to properly and safely use knives, kitchen utensils, and other potentially hazardous cooking equipment.
· Ability to taste and smell food and wine and articulate what you are tasting.
· Ability to effectively communicate in verbal and written forms.
· Ability to work in a team environment.
· Excellent customer service skills.
· High attention to detail.