Certified Nursing Assistant
Purpose of the Position
The purpose of the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) is to provide direct certified nursing care to residents of the Sauk County Health Care Center.
***Qualified candidate must be fully vaccinated or show proof of exemption.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with and provide resident hygiene tasks such as bathing and dressing and changing of linens.
- Assist with or feed residents including providing dietary supplements and/or between meal nourishments to residents.
- Perform treatments as directed by unit nurse, including but not limited to administering suppositories and catheter care.
- Obtain resident vital signs such as blood pressure, pulse, temperature, respiration, and oxygen saturation and reports findings or changes to unit nurse.
- Meet resident’s needs and/or requests in a timely manner.
- Assist ambulatory residents, and transfer non-ambulatory and non-weight bearing residents to therapy and then follow nursing recommendations/orders.
- Follow resident’s plan of care as directed by resident and the interdisciplinary team.
- Promote resident choice via resident centered care.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in resident dining experience, meal delivery, clearing tables and washing dishes.
- Direct visitors.
- Engage or provide residents activities of their choice.
- Record food intake, bowel movements and other nursing tasks and resident information to electronic medical record.
- Transport residents to and from dentist appointments, podiatrist appointments, beauty shop and on/off neighborhoods for recreational activities.
- Light housekeeping duties such as sweeping, mopping and carpet cleaning.
- Answer call lights promptly.
- Mentor and train new Certified Nursing Assistants and facilitates familiarization with facility processes and procedures.
- And other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Maintain all relevant certifications
- Maintain up to date knowledge of nursing best practices
- To manage, direct, teach, control, counsel, mediate, convince and persuade others
- Descriptive data and information such as various manuals, emergency plans, regulations, medical charts, nurses’ notes, treatment orders, policies and procedures, and routine and non-routine correspondence
- Verbally and in writing with residents, residents’ families, RNs, CNAs, other department personnel, physicians, and visitors
- Explain, demonstrate, and clarify to others established policies, procedures, and standards
- Adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing
- Compare, count, differentiate, measure, sort, classify, compute, tabulate, and/or categorize data and/or information
- Assemble, copy, record, and transcribe data and/or information
- Apply functional and situational reasoning by exercising judgement, decisiveness, and creativity in everyday routine and non-routine situations
- Use fine and gross motor skills to perform tasks such as operating mechanical lifts, stethoscopes, sphygmomanometers, computers, and any other mechanical medical device deemed suitable for use in the facility
- Exert effort in moderate to heavy work, such as lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, stooping, crouching, squatting, balancing, and standing for long periods of time
- Recognize and identify degrees of similarity and differences between characteristics of colors, forms, sounds, odors, textures, etc. associated with objects, materials, and ingredients
- Occasionally unsafe and uncomfortable in respects to temperature variations, odors, toxic agents, noise, and disease.
Required Working Hours
Standard working hours may vary between first shift, second shift, and third shift. Please note these hours are subject to change and additional hours may be needed or required. Reimbursement for such additional hours are subject to state and federal regulations.
Education and Experience Requirements
Preferred: High School Diploma or equivalent
Licenses/Certifications: Licensed Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.