Advanced Practice Provider (APP) - Hospitalist
Title: Advanced Practice Provider - Hospitalist
FTE: Per Diem
Holiday Rotation: N/A
Weekend Rotation: N/A
This position performs the functions of examining, assessing, planning, and implementing the health care of assigned patients under a licensed physician's supervision and direction. The APP secures patient histories, performs physical examinations, orders laboratory tests, develops and implements treatment plans, performs diagnostic and treatment procedures, records findings, and provides patient education and counseling to enhance our effectiveness in providing primary care for inpatient admissions. This position also provides independent initial assessment and management of urgent care issues at night to patient populations.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cares for adult patients of any age to obtain a personal medical history, perform an appropriate physical examination, record and present pertinent data concerning the patient in a manner meaningful to the physician.
- Per APP’s scope of practice, assists the collaborating/supervising physician in hospital by recording pertinent information in the patient’s medical record, accurately writing or executing standing orders or other orders as directed. Prepares transfer orders, discharge summaries, referral physician letters, home prescriptions, and other records as instructed by the physician.
- Participates in patient rounding.
- Orders and interprets laboratory and diagnostic tests.
- Develops pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical treatment plans.
- Prepares and maintains clinical records in a problem-oriented format, fostering communication between health care providers, continuity of care, and coordination of services.
- Monitors effectiveness of plan of care.
- Educates patients on disease and treatment plans.
- Performs procedures as trained and appropriately credentialed, to include cardiac stress tests under physician supervision.
- Documents within the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) and completes other necessary documents.
- Collaborates and/or consults with physicians and other health care providers as appropriate.
- Educates, counsels, and assists patients and families regarding current health problems, health maintenance activities and preventive behaviors.
- Participates in handoff activities with off-going and oncoming Hospitalist. Responds to in-house emergencies and other issues for admitted patients on the services covered and responds promptly to all pages and questions related to the care of patients in assigned inpatient services. Provides initial assessment and management of urgent care issues at night related to internal medicine or critical care needs.
- Evaluates patients and renders care, within the scope of practice outlined by state statute and as defined in the collaborative agreement or prescribing guidelines, in the inpatient setting.
- Updates supervising/collaborating physicians who are on-call, including attending physicians.
- Assists physicians in quality improvement efforts by participating in quality improvement teams, maintaining necessary logs, preparing reports, and participating in practice evaluation and education programs.
- Participates in quality assurance activities and/or clinical trials, including protocol development, patient eligibility and monitoring.
- Consults with the physicians, nursing staff, and technicians in order to evaluate standards of patient care provided and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Must acquire the knowledge and maintain established competency levels to perform essential professional practice.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Required: Graduate of a Physician Assistant Program or Master of Science in Nursing program granted by an accredited college or university.
- Preferred: Doctor of nursing practice
- Required: None
- Preferred: 1-3 years of Registered Nurse or Advanced Practice Provider experience in an acute care hospital setting highly desirable.
- Required: Nurse Practitioner: State of Wisconsin license as a Registered Nurse and Advanced Practice Nurse Prescriber. Physician Assistant: State of Wisconsin license as a Physician Assistant. Drug Enrollment Agency (DEA) Registration or ability to apply for such license prior to or upon hire and obtain within 60 days from hire.
- Preferred: None
- Required: Basic Life Support within 3 months of hire. Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification required within 6 months of hire.
- Preferred: None
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Discounted membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Free parking at facility
Interested in an extraordinary career? Click the link to apply.