Advanced Practice Provider - ER/Urgent Care (Per Diem)
Title: Advanced Practice Provider – ER/Urgent Care
FTE: Per diem
Schedule: Hours vary between 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM and 1:00 PM - 9:30 PM
Holiday Rotation: Per unit guidelines.
Under the supervision of a designated licensed physician, provides health services and medical treatments to patients primarily in Urgent Care, but at times assists as needed in Emergency Room.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- See and care for patients requiring Urgent Care services.
- Obtain an appropriate medical history and perform a complete physical examination. Record such information in a manner acceptable to the attending physician and the Medical Information Services Department.
- Perform health assessments by interviewing patient and family members as appropriate.
- Perform simple surgical procedures, i.e. suturing, incision and drainage, removal of skin lesions and foreign bodies.
- Sign orders, noting the name of the physician under whose direction such orders are given.
- Educate patient and/or family caregiver regarding patient's health care needs.
- Assist physician as required.
- Do appropriate dressing changes, sutures, treatment of sprains and burns, corneal foreign body removal, under the direction of the attending physician.
- Collect specimens of urine, blood and breath for drug and alcohol screening purposes.
- Write orders for diagnostic tests and procedures, therapies and consultations, as well as medications. Write discharge orders and ensure that the patient or caregiver understands the instructions.
- Interpret diagnostic test results.
- Notify the attending physician immediately of significant condition change in the patient.
- The application of splints may be performed by the advanced practice provider as approved by the attending physician.
- Dictate examination outcomes, referral physician letters, and other records as instructed by the attending physician. It is the responsibility of the attending physician to verify the final diagnosis and the examination outcome documentation.
- All medical orders, history and examination notes must be co-signed by the attending physician within one week.
- Prepare written prescription orders for drugs as defined in Wisconsin Administrative Code, Chapter Med 8, Med 8.08 (2).
- Delegates duties to nursing staff as appropriate.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills with coworkers, physicians, patients and patients' family members.
- Responds to life saving situations based upon medical standards, policies, procedures and protocol.
- Crisis intervention including potential for physical danger/battery to staff.
- Assist with sexual assault, abuse cases with one-on-one care. Knowledge of protocol and support.
- Provide advice for medical questions via telephone.
- Treats all patients equally, with compassion and without regard to medical condition, social status, or race.
- Protects patients' rights.
- Participates in continuing education through inservices and other programs.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by physician.
- Assists employee health with pre-employment physicals
- Required: Nurse Practitioner: Master or Doctorate degree from accredited Nursing Program. Physician Assistant: Bachelor or Master’s
- Preferred: None
- Required: None
- Preferred: 1-3 years of clinical experience.
- Required: Nurse Practitioner: State of Wisconsin license as a Registered Nurse and Advanced Practice Nurse Prescriber (Family) or Physician Assistant: State of Wisconsin license as a Physician Assistant. Drug Enrollment Agency (DEA) Registration or ability to apply for such license prior to or upon hire. DEA Registration required within 60 days of hire.
- Preferred: None
- Required: Basic Life Support (BLS) within 3 months of hire. Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) within 6 months of hire. Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) within 6 months of hire. Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) within 1 year of hire.
- Preferred: None
- Competitive health and dental insurance options
- Flexible paid time off to balance work and life
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Free membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Employer provided life and disability insurance
- Free parking at facility
Interested in an extraordinary career? Click the link to apply.