Athletic TrainerPOSITION SPECIFICSTitle: Athletic Trainer
FTE: 0.80 FTE (32 hours per week)
Schedule: Variable – after school and event coverage as needed
Holiday Rotation: N/A
Weekend Rotation: Event coverage as neededCoordinate outreach athletic training services to youth, high school and recreational athletes. Provide coverage at community events. Provide quality assistance with patient care in SPH sports medicine and/or orthopedic clinics.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide athletic training services, evening and weekend event coverage for schools contracted with SPH and non-school events. Maintain accurate records of event coverage. Maintain travel and mileage records.
- Perform injury evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation of athletic injuries. Make recommendations for physician referral as appropriate. Maintain documentation of injuries and referrals per department standard.
- Communicate with physicians, coaches and parents regarding athletic injuries evaluations and recommendations for triage and plan of care.
- Serve as liaison and coordinator of outreach services between athletic directors and Rehabilitation Services Manager.
- Provide input to athletic directors regarding school supply budget. Maintain supplies. Maintain a clean and orderly athletic training room.
- Provide expertise and supervision for performance enhancement and injury prevention services Develop patient education programs and tools for all areas of athletic training and sports medicine.
- Coordinate and provide athletic training services to community youth and adult recreational athletic leagues and community sponsored athletic tournaments and events.
- Provide, as necessary, patient care in rehab services department collaborating with physical and occupational therapists with general supervision of a PT when required, following state and federal regulations.
- Provide, as necessary, responsibilities working with sports medicine or orthopedic providers in their clinics. Includes but not limited to:
- Room patients, collect patient history information including vitals, medications and allergies
- Provide education on exercises
- Sizing and application of splints and braces; application of casts as directed by physician
- Crutch training as directed by physician
- Prepare patients for injections as directed by physician
- Perform examinations as appropriate to athletic training scope of practice.
- Prepare charts for patient appointments; calls appropriate facility to retrieve needed information
- Clean and disinfect patient treatment rooms per infection control policy.
- Guide and support patients through the sports medicine care continuum to ensure optimal access to healthcare resources within and external to the SPH system. Includes but not limited to:
- Facilitate appointments with specialists and support services within established service standards
- Serve as a primary contact for patients and their families seeking information and/or requesting services.
- Provide education on immediate injury care, within scope of practice.
- Work closely with marketing and public relations personnel to plan and coordinate sports medicine community outreach events and public presentations and to market services in a variety of media, including social networking.
- Provide exercise and strengthening expertise in the wellness center for post discharge rehabilitation patients and other members as directed.
- Presents seminars and workshops as requested.
- Participate on committees, work groups and task forces as assigned.
- Provide input on policies for the department.
- Attend all mandatory Hospital in-services
- Attend appropriate continuing education programs to continually improve the quality of skills delivered, and to advance individual competency.
- Required: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in athletic training
- Preferred: None
- Required: None
- Preferred: 1 year
- Required: State of Wisconsin Athletic Trainer license
- Preferred: None
- Required: Basic Life Support (BLS) within 3 months of hire
- Preferred: None
- Competitive health and dental insurance options
- Flexible paid time off to balance work and life
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Free membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Employer provided life and disability insurance
Interested in an extraordinary career? Click the link to apply.