Athletic Trainer - Rehab Services (Per Diem)
Title: Athletic Trainer
FTE: .Per Diem
Schedule: Hours will vary and could include daytime hours, evening hours and weekend coverage for high school events.
Holiday Rotation: No
Weekend Rotation: Occasional weekend coverage for events
On Call Requirements: No
Coordinate outreach athletic training services to youth, high school and recreational athletes. Provide coverage at community events. Provide quality assistance with patient care in SPH sports medicine and/or orthopedic clinics.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide athletic training services, evening and weekend event coverage for schools contracted with SPH and non-school events. Maintain accurate records of event coverage. Maintain travel and mileage records.
- Perform injury evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation of athletic injuries. Make recommendations for physician referral as appropriate. Maintain documentation of injuries and referrals per department standard.
- Communicate with physicians, coaches and parents regarding athletic injuries evaluations and recommendations for triage and plan of care.
- Serve as liaison and coordinator of outreach services between athletic directors and Rehabilitation Services Manager.
- Provide input to athletic directors regarding school supply budget. Maintain supplies. Maintain a clean and orderly athletic training room.
- Provide expertise and supervision for performance enhancement and injury prevention services. Develop patient education programs and tools for all areas of athletic training and sports medicine.
- Coordinate and provide athletic training services to community youth and adult recreational athletic leagues and community sponsored athletic tournaments and events.
- Provide, as necessary, patient care in rehab services department collaborating with physical and occupational therapists with general supervision of a PT when required, following state and federal regulations.
- Provide, as necessary, responsibilities working with sports medicine or orthopedic providers in their clinics. Includes but not limited to:
- Room patients, collect patient history information including vitals, medications and allergies
- Provide education on exercises
- Sizing and application of splints and braces; application of casts as directed by physician
- Crutch training as directed by physician
- Prepare patients for injections as directed by physician
- Perform examinations as appropriate to athletic training scope of practice.
- Prepare charts for patient appointments; calls appropriate facility to retrieve needed information
- Clean and disinfect patient treatment rooms per infection control policy.
- Guide and support patients through the sports medicine care continuum to ensure optimal access to healthcare resources within and external to the SPH system. Includes but not limited to:
- Facilitate appointments with specialists and support services within established service standards
- Serve as a primary contact for patients and their families seeking information and/or requesting services.
- Provide education on immediate injury care, within scope of practice.
- Work closely with marketing and public relations personnel to plan and coordinate sports medicine community outreach events and public presentations and to market services in a variety of media, including social networking.
- Provide exercise and strengthening expertise in the wellness center for post discharge rehabilitation patients and other members as directed.
- Presents seminars and workshops as requested.
- Participate on committees, work groups and task forces as assigned.
- Provide input on policies for the department.
- Attend all mandatory Hospital in-services
- Attend appropriate continuing education programs to continually improve the quality of skills delivered, and to advance individual competency.
- Required: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in athletic training
- Preferred: None
- Required: None
- Preferred: 1 year
- Required: State of Wisconsin Athletic Trainer license
- Preferred: None
- Required: Basic Life Support (BLS) within 3 months of hire
- Preferred: None
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Discounted membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Free parking at facility