Emergency Department Technician (Part Time days/PMs)
Title: ED Technician
FTE: 0.5 FTE (40 hours/pay period)
Schedule: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM and one shift per week from 3:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Holiday Rotation: Per unit guidelines
Weekend Rotation: Every other weekend
To provide quality professional care, comfort, assistance with activities of daily living and rehabilitation for patients, under the supervision of a registered nurse.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as a communication link between departments and other organizations using a variety of communication technologies.
- Participate in patient care interventions and personal care procedures for patients under the direction of the Registered Nurse. Duties include:
- Documenting vital signs, including pulse, respiratory rate, blood pressure and oxygen saturations.
- Performing safety checks and assisting patients with ambulation.
- Prepare patients, equipment and supplies for specific procedures, providing manual assistance as required.
- Collecting, delivering and conducting routine tests on patient specimens.
- Assisting with personal hygiene; bathing.
- Assisting with ambulation
- Assisting with bowel and bladder elimination
- Participating in nutritional activities
- Perform approved dressings and wound care.
- Report changes in a patient’s physical or mental status to the nurse.
- Ensure a clean and safe patient environment equipped with adequate supplies for each patient.
- Provide care to patient of all socio-economic status, including young, old, confused, dying, multi-racial, and those in isolation.
- Perform IV starts and venipuncture for collection of routine blood specimens and blood cultures.
- Perform a variety of clerical functions including patient documentation, communications, record keeping and retrieval, and registration of patients.
- Care for patients' family members in a caring and sensitive manner.
- Make frequent rounds of patients to safety and comfort.
- Document care provided and actions taken in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Order and maintain supplies needed for patient care.
- Float to other units as necessary.
- Attend 75% of unit meetings.
- Keep the patient rooms, supply rooms, hallways neat and nurse’s station clean and orderly.
- Answer patient call lights promptly.
- Participate in education by attending in-services.
- Maintain knowledge of safety policies and reports codes as needed.
- Safely handles IV solutions as directed by an RN in order to stock the unit.
- Kindly greet each person entering the facility.
- Explain to patients/visitors/vendors the purpose of temperature and symptom screening.
- Explain current visitor/patient support partner protocol as needed.
- Ensure patient/visitors/vendors are screened appropriately with current requirements.
- Administer and interpret temperature of each scanned individual using the no-touch digital thermometer.
- Screen persons entering the facility.
- Ensure all who enter the facility are wearing a mask/face covering and provide a mask to those without one.
- Confirms with entering patients their destination and direct them to the department.
- Confirm permitted visitors in coordination with the Welcome Desk staff.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area and entry vestibule.
- Monitor screening supplies and report needs for additional supplies.
- Clean returned wheelchairs prior to reuse by another patient.
- Other duties as assigned to include assisting with projects and tasks that can be performed at the work station.
- Required: High School Degree or equivalent. IV Start and Phlebotomy training within 3 months of hire (Provided by SPH)
- Preferred: None
- Required: None
- Preferred: Nursing Assistant, EMT, or paramedic experience
- Required: Valid certifications as a CNA or EMT
- Preferred: None
- Required: Basic Life Support (BLS) within 3 months of hire
- Preferred: None
- Competitive health and dental insurance options
- Flexible paid time off to balance work and life
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Free membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Employer provided life and disability insurance
- Free parking at facility