Title: Health Information Technician
FTE: 0.9 (36 hours per week)
Holiday Rotation: N/A
Weekend Rotation: N/A
Performs a variety of duties, usually to support medical staff providers and customers of the HIM Operations Department with day to day operational activities such as preparing records and release of information for patient care requests. Responsible for monitoring electronic health record (EHR) completion, including assisting and training providers with record completion standards and requirements. Responsible for maintaining the system applications related to the Health Information Management department that support the electronic health record (EHR) such as scanning, electronic documents, and the patient health record portal.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assures quality and completion of tasks within assigned application, including application dictionaries, definition of application profiles and parameters, test plans, Go-live plan and support, and post-live operations and requirements.
- Assures that workflow patterns and medical record requirements are completed within the EHR application system.
- Monitors transcription interface and uploads, and processes transcribed reports within designated time frames.
- Identifies transcription interface problems and initiates communications with transcription vendor and EHR application system.
- Responsible for training physicians and other providers on dictation system and EHR provider applications related to the electronic medical record
- Operates transcription software application to monitor workflow and transcription completion activities to complete work assignments, utilizing all functions available.
- Monitors medical record completion and trends data by medical staff providers.
- Works closely with physicians and clinic staffs to increase efficiency of medical documentation completion process.
- Monitors HIPAA audits pertaining to EHR as directed by the Health Information Management Director/Privacy Officer.
- Perform basic ICD diagnosis codes for ancillary service accounts as assigned.
- Answers department phone and follows up on requests from customers.
- Perform maintenance of the Master Patient Index.
- Processes proxy requests for the SPH patient portal ensuring proper authorization is obtained and valid. Assists patients with health record portal enrollment and support for other portal routines.
- Process release of information for “walk in” requests.
- May perform basic ICD diagnosis code assignment for ancillary services as assigned.
- Process release of information requests for urgent needs.
- Works as a partner with all team members, demonstrating willingness to do whatever needs to be done to meet the needs of the customer.
- Improves own and/or department performance by practicing quality improvement principles in daily work, focusing on process and system improvements and increasing customer satisfaction.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient and facility information at all times, both while on and off duty.
- Attends mandatory hospital and department meetings.
- Required: High school diploma or equivalent
- Preferred: Associates Degree in Health Information Technician
Licenses and Registrations
- Required: 1-2 years’ experience in health information management or in a healthcare office setting
- Preferred: None
- Required: None
- Preferred: Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
- Required: None
- Preferred: None
Interested in an extraordinary career? Click the link to apply.
- Competitive health and dental insurance options
- Flexible paid time off to balance work and life
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Free membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Employer provided life and disability insurance