Medical Lab Technologist/Medical Technologist - Lab (Full Time)
Title: Medical Lab Technologist (MLT)/Medical Technologist (MT)
FTE: 1.0 FTE (40 hours/week)
Schedule: Two 12-hour shifts and two 8-hour shifts
Holiday Rotation: 3-4 holidays per year
Weekend Rotation: Every 3rd weekend
On Call Requirements: N/A
Performs clinical laboratory testing which involves the application of sophisticated analytical knowledge in a wide range of clinical laboratory areas including Chemistry, Hematology, Serology, Urinalysis, Microbiology, Immunohematology, Coagulation, and Phlebotomy. Under the general supervisor of the Laboratory Director the Medical Laboratory Technician I is responsible for the provision of accurate and timely laboratory tests, collection of specimens, quality control, maintenance of equipment and troubleshooting problems that arise.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collect blood samples using proper techniques on infant, pediatric, adult, geriatric and impaired patients.
- Verify patient identification and maintains specimen identification according to SOP’s.
- Process all specimens collected and received in the Laboratory with accuracy and completeness.
- Prepare paperwork and specimens to be routed to reference laboratories for all testing not performed on site.
- Document discrepancies, utilizing appropriate tools, alerts Laboratory Director.
- Document comments/complaints, alerts lab director.
- Able to assess the developmental needs of patients from infant to geriatric and adjusts care and instructions appropriately.
- Use the appropriate communication and customer relation skills while delivering lab services to our customers including inpatients, outpatients, nursing home residents, physician offices, home care agencies, veterinary offices, etc.
- Perform various laboratory procedures on human and veterinary specimens in the fields of Chemistry, Urinalysis, coagulation, Hematology, Immunohematology, Microbiology and Serology using manual, microscopic, and automated instrumentation.
- Perform testing per approved procedural directions, including instrument startup, quality control, and record keeping functions.
- Perform daily and weekly, maintenance on all instrumentation per established protocols, as scheduled.
- Ability to perform required computer functions related to one’s position utilizing the Laboratory Information System, Microsoft Word, Excel, etc…
- Maintain required continuing education for Medical Laboratory Technician.
- Implement troubleshooting and repair process for all QC and instrument failures.
- Recognize questionable instrument function or patient data and resolves problems prior to reporting patient results.
- Prepare and distribute laboratory reports to appropriate sites.
- Assist in reviewing, revising, writing policies and procedures.
- Participate in department and organizational performance improvement activities.
- Maintain and promote positive relationships with all contacts.
- Facilitate a clean and neat working environment.
- Assist with training of new employees and new procedures as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Participate in special projects, either assigned or initiated by self.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- ?MLT: Associate degree as a Medical Lab Technician or Laboratory Science from a two-year accredited program. Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology or other health sciences degree from a four-year accredited program meeting CLIA requirements for high complexity laboratories is also qualified to work under the MLT job description.High degree of mathematical skills required to perform necessary tests, instrument operations and computer functions.
- MT: 1) Masters or Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Sciences, Medical Laboratory Science or other health science degree from an accredited college meeting CLIA requirements for high complexity laboratories. Plus a Medical Technologist (MT) or Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) certification by American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP), or eligible. For ASCP certificate eligible staff, ASCP certification must be obtained within 12 months of hire; or 2) Associate degree as a Medical Lab Technician (MLT) from a two-year accredited program along with 5 years of relevant hospital/reference laboratory experience and Health Education and Welfare/American Medical Technologist (HEW/AMT) or approved agency certification for classification as a MT; or 3) Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college along with an associate degree as a MLT from a two-year accredited program and MLS certification by ASCP upon appointment.
- Preferred: None
- Required: None
- Preferred: 3 years of relevant hospital or reference laboratory experience
- Required: None
- Preferred: None
- MLT: Certified by the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or the National Credentialing Agency for Laboratory Personnel (NCA) as a Medical Lab Technician or Medical Technologist or eligible for certification - within 12 months of hire date. Must meet minimum requirements of federal statutes required by CLIA 88 regulations as testing personnel upon appointment.
- MT: 1) MT or MLS certification by ASCP or the National Credentialing Agency for Laboratory Personnel (NCA) required within 12 months of hire. 2) MLT possessing a HEW/AMT or approved agency certification for classification as a MT 3) MLT with a MLS certification by ASCP
- Preferred: None
- Competitive health and dental insurance options
- Flexible paid time off to balance work and life
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Free membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Employer provided life and disability insurance
- Free parking at facility