Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner (Surgical) - Orthopedic Associates (Full Time)
Title: Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner (Surgical) – Orthopedic Associates
FTE: 1.0 FTE (40 hours/week)
Schedule: Monday-Friday between the hours of 7:00am – 5:00pm
Holiday Rotation: None
Weekend Rotation: None
On Call Requirements: None
Assists physicians in all aspects of patient care, including examining patients, performing complex history and physicals, compiling medical data, administering or ordering diagnostic tests and interpreting test results. This position also performs therapeutic duties such as wound care and managing infection.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Screen patient to determine their need for medical attention.
- Perform comprehensive and problem-focused history and physical exams, interpret and correlate laboratory and diagnostics procedures. Record such information in a manner acceptable to the attending physician and the Health Information Management department. Formulate treatment plan within the scope of practice.
- Prepare patients for key components of surgery including preoperative and postoperative education, implementing protocols and procedures and verifying understanding of preparative information.
- Function as a first assistant to the primary surgeon to include deep and superficial closures, assistance with positioning of surgical patients, application of dressing and other actions delegated by the surgeon.
- Retract, dissect, manipulate tissues, insert drains and perform closure of surgical incision(s).
- Perform simple surgical procedures, i.e. suturing, incision and drainage, removal of skin lesions and foreign bodies.
- Perform appropriate dressing changes, sutures, treatment under the attending physician.
- Assess, evaluate and treat (within scope), patients appearing for treatment on an emergency basis.
- Triage phone calls and provide advice for medical questions.
- Perform daily rounds on inpatients.
- Order & Coordinate services as required – OT/PT, wound care, home care and other disciplines as needed.
- Provides appropriate documentation of patient visits.
- Discharge patients and dictate discharge summaries.
- Perform health assessments by interviewing patient and family members as appropriate.
- Educate patient and/or family care giver regarding diagnosis, treatment and prevention.
- Dictate examination outcomes, referral physician letters and other records. Ensure that attending physician verifies the final diagnosis and the examination outcome documentation.
- Order, prescribe and administer medications, devices as allowed under Wisconsin law.
- Assign durable medical equipment and physical therapy.
- Required: Completion of an approved educational program for a Physician Assistant or for Nurse Practitioners
- Preferred: None
- Required: 1-3 years of clinical experience.
- Preferred: None
- Required: Physician Assistant: State of Wisconsin license as a Physician Assistant. Nurse Practitioner: State of Wisconsin license as a Registered Nurse and Advanced Practice Nurse Prescriber. Drug Enrollment Agency (DEA) Registration or ability to apply for such license prior to or upon hire and obtain within 60 days from hire.
- Required: Basic Life Support (BLS) within 3 months of hire.
- Preferred: Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification desirable.
- Competitive health and dental insurance options
- Flexible paid time off to balance work and life
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Free membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Employer provided life and disability insurance
- Free parking at facility
Interested in an extraordinary career? Click the link to apply.