Registered Nurse - Infusion (Part Time Days)
Title: RN Clinic - Infusion
FTE: 0.5 FTE (40 hours per pay period)
Schedule: Variable, 20 hours per week, primarily 8:00am - 5:00pm
Holiday Rotation: N/A
Weekend Rotation: Every third weekend
On Call Requirements: N/A
Primarily, provide general nursing care for vascular infusion administration and monitoring. In addition, may provide general nursing care for a group of patients on Acute Care. Provide quality, professional, general nursing care to patients. Responsible for assessing, planning, implementing, documenting, and evaluating patient care for a group of patients on the unit. Must adapt appropriately to changes in daily assignments, patient status changes, and unit needs. Responsibilities include following all standards, practices, policies and procedures of unit and SPH.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide general nursing care to patients.
- Utilize the nursing process: assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation in all patient encounters.
- Initiate, administer, and monitor peripheral and central intravenous infusions and transfusions
- Review, process, and schedule patient for treatment based on physician order set.,
- Recognize and respond to adverse reactions of intravenous infusions.
- Administer medication by all routes. Recognize the implementation of dosages, interactions, side effects, adverse effects, routes of administration of drugs as they apply to individual patients. Uses knowledge of medications in instructing patients about medication therapy.
- Perform delegated medical acts and provide supervision as needed in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act to the LPNs and unlicensed personnel.
- Manage patient flow and performs patient rooming workflows as requested.
- Assess patient status to determine need for treatment or intervention in life threatening situations. Participate using emergency standing orders if needed, or under the direct supervision of a medical provider.
- Collect laboratory samples.
- Perform placement, care, and maintenance of vascular access devices.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Use and perpetuate the nursing process (assessing, planning, implementation, and evaluation) throughout the patient’s stay. Ensure that patient care is individualized to meet the patient’s unique needs and situation.
- Initiate, develop and document patient plan of care based on patient assessment and medical diagnosis and set priorities for nursing action in accordance with unit policy. The plan of care will be reviewed/revised every 24 hours at a minimum.
- Within the framework of unit requirements, physician orders, and policy and procedures, provide care independently with minimal supervision.
- Respond to life threatening situations based upon nursing standards, policies, procedures, and protocol.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of procedures and treatments and have the ability to explain them to patients at their level of understanding.
- Perform or assist with procedures per approved unit policy and procedure.
- Observe, record significant condition change, and any reaction for patients. In a timely manner, notify supervisor or physician of change in patient's condition, reaction to drug, treatment, and significant incidents.
- Monitor, record and communicate patient condition as appropriate utilizing computerized documentation systems.
- Via the electronic medical record (EMR), acknowledge physician’s orders by the process of review and verification. Once order is acknowledged, follow through on order or delegate in a timely fashion.
- Be proficient in medication administration, including IV therapy, as evidenced by lack of medication errors.
- Initiate patient/family education plan and discharge needs according to the individualized needs of the patient/family, as prescribed by physician and/or hospital policy.
- Delegate to and collaborates with other health team members in planning and providing care based on patient needs.
- Learn and maintain skills and equipment competencies as needed.
- Safely care for multiple patients. Maintains a safe environment for patients and uses safety precautions appropriately.
- Demonstrate understanding and utilization of Universal Precautions, asepsis and infection control procedures.
- Ensure proper handling of specimens.
- Float to other units as necessary.
- Participate in department or unit quality improvement activities.
- Attend 75% of Unit Meetings.
- Apply and monitor medical equipment and devices such as cardiac monitors, mechanical ventilators and alarms, external pace makers, oxygen delivery devices, transduce/pressure lines and central lines.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of cardiopulmonary emergencies and initiate the standardized interventions to stabilize the patient and prepare for transfer to a higher level of care.
- Interpret arterial blood gas analysis and communicate findings.
- Recognition of indications for and management of patients requiring noninvasive oxygen delivery systems including oral airways, high flow oxygen, bi-level positive airway pressure and continuous positive airway pressure.
- Assessment of the patient receiving mechanical ventilation to monitor patient response and ensure delivery of prescribed treatment.
- May have precepting responsibility for another person.
- Required: Graduate of an accredited nursing program
- Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
- Required: General patient care and comfort with IV infusion administration.
- Preferred: 5 years of inpatient nursing.
- Required: Current State of Wisconsin Registered Nurse license or Multistate Nurse License
- Preferred: None
- Required: Basic Life Support (BLS) within 3 months of hire, PALS required within 1 year of hire, and ACLS required with 6 months of hire.
- Preferred: Certified registered nurse infusion (CRNI), or Vascular Access Board Certification (VA-BC).
- Competitive health and dental insurance options
- Flexible paid time off to balance work and life
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Free membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Employer provided life and disability insurance.
- Free parking at facility