RN - Registered Nurse - Birth & Women's Care Center (Per Diem)
Title: RN – Birth & Women’s Care Center
FTE: 0.0 FTE Per Diem
Schedule: Variable 12-hour day/night shifts
Holiday Rotation: 2 holidays per year
Weekend Rotation: 1 weekend shift per month
On Call Requirements: N/A
Provides quality, professional, nursing care to obstetric and newborn patients, including labor and delivery, following all standards, practices, policies and procedures. Responsibilities include following all standards, practices, policies and procedures of unit and SPH.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide triage for Obstetric outpatients.
- Perform a thorough nursing admission assessment, review of health history including prenatal records, and document according to policy.
- Initiate fetal monitoring and interpret and document fetal tracing according to guidelines.
- Perform vaginal exams.
- Monitor progress of laboring mothers and notify provider when appropriate utilizing the Situation Background Assessment Recommendation (SBAR) format.
- Support patient’s choice for pain management. Provide labor support to both patients and support for their families.
- Perform sterile setup of delivery instruments.
- Explain procedures and treatments to patient.
- Following hospital policy, prepare patients for a cesarean section; both scheduled and emergent.
- Care for patients who are have their labor induced or augmented.
- Document all nursing care, according to policy, in the electronic medical record (EMR).
- Assist providers during procedures such as internal monitor placement, Amniocentesis or External Cephalic Version.
- Assist Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) during the placement of regional anesthesia.
- Provide care for the delivering patient.
- Perform postpartum care to mothers according to protocol.
- Provide lactation support and education.
- Perform nursery care for newborns.
- Provide bedside shift to shift report utilizing the SBAR format.
- Accompany obstetric patients on transfer to another facility.
- Care for the newborn requiring additional nursery care such as IV therapy, oxygen.
- Respond to life-threatening situations based upon nursing standards, policies, procedures, and protocol.
- Maintain strict confidentiality.
- Create environment that fosters good team relationships.
- Assure that the unit is clean, stocked with the appropriate supplies and equipment is ready for use.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills with coworkers, physicians, patients and patients' family members.
- Delegate duties to others as appropriate.
- Float to other units as necessary.
- Participate in department or unit quality improvement activities.
- Attend 75% of unit meetings.
- May have precepting responsibility for another person.
- Treat all patients equally, with compassion and without regard to medical condition, social status, or race.
- Protect patients' rights.
- Participate in continuing education through staff meetings, online education, webinars, simulation/drills, and case review CMEs.
- Required: Associate Degree in Nursing
- Preferred: Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Required: None
- Preferred: None
- Required: Current State of Wisconsin Registered Nurse license or Multistate Nurse License
- Preferred: None
- Required: Basic Life Support required within 3 months of hire. Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) required within one year of hire. Sugar & Safe Care, Temperature, Airway, Blood Pressure, Lab Work, Emotional Support (STABLE) required within 1 year of hire.
- Preferred: Advanced Cardio Life Support (ACLS)
- Competitive health and dental insurance options
- Flexible paid time off to balance work and life
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Free membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Employer provided life and disability insurance
- Free parking at facility
Interested in an extraordinary career? Click the link to apply.