RN - Registered Nurse - Birth & Women's Care Center (Per Diem)
Title: RN – Birth & Women’s Care Center
FTE: Per Diem
Schedule: 12 hour shifts
Holiday Rotation: Every third
Weekend Rotation: N/A
On Call Requirements: 13-24 per 6 weeks
Provides quality, professional, nursing care to obstetric and newborn patients, including labor and delivery, following all standards, practices, policies and procedures.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide triage for Obstetric outpatients.
- Perform a thorough nursing admission assessment, review of health history including prenatal records, and document according to policy.
- Initiate fetal monitoring and interpret and document fetal tracing according to guidelines.
- Perform vaginal exams.
- Monitor progress of laboring mothers and notify provider when appropriate utilizing the Situation Background Assessment Recommendation (SBAR) format.
- Support patient’s choice for pain management. Provide labor support to both patients and support for their families.
- Perform sterile setup of delivery instruments.
- Explain procedures and treatments to patient.
- Following hospital policy, prepare patients for a cesarean section; both scheduled and emergent.
- Care for patients who are have their labor induced or augmented.
- Document all nursing care, according to policy, in the electronic medical record (EMR).
- Assist providers during procedures such as internal monitor placement, Amniocentesis or External Cephalic Version.
- Assist Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) during the placement of regional anesthesia.
- Provide care for the delivering patient.
- Perform postpartum care to mothers according to protocol.
- Provide lactation support and education.
- Perform nursery care for newborns.
- Provide bedside shift to shift report utilizing the SBAR format.
- Accompany obstetric patients on transfer to another facility.
- Care for the newborn requiring additional nursery care such as IV therapy, oxygen.
- Respond to life-threatening situations based upon nursing standards, policies, procedures, and protocol.
- Maintain strict confidentiality.
- Create environment that fosters good team relationships.
- Assure that the unit is clean, stocked with the appropriate supplies and equipment is ready for use.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills with coworkers, physicians, patients and patients' family members.
- Delegate duties to others as appropriate.
- Float to other units as necessary.
- Participate in department or unit quality improvement activities.
- Attend 75% of unit meetings.
- May have precepting responsibility for another person.
- Treat all patients equally, with compassion and without regard to medical condition, social status, or race.
- Protect patients' rights.
- Participate in continuing education through staff meetings, online education, webinars, simulation/drills, and case review CMEs.
- Required: Associate Degree in Nursing
- Preferred: Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Required: None
- Preferred: None
- Required: Current State of Wisconsin Registered Nurse license
- Preferred: None
- Required: Basic Life Support required within 3 months of hire. Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) required within one year of hire. Sugar & Safe Care, Temperature, Airway, Blood Pressure, Lab Work, Emotional Support (STABLE) required within 1 year of hire.
- Preferred: Advanced Cardio Life Support (ACLS)
- Competitive health and dental insurance options
- Flexible paid time off to balance work and life
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Free membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Employer provided life and disability insurance
- Free parking at facility
Interested in an extraordinary career? Click the link to apply.