Specimen Processor (Phlebotomist)
We are seeking a Specimen Processor (Phlebotomist) to:
- Perform venipuncture and capillary punctures to procure specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Serves patients of all ages from newborn through geriatric
- Perform clerical functions such as filing, word processing, answer telephones, faxing results, scheduling, and preparing specimens to be sent to reference laboratories.
- Performs urine toxicology and alcohol collections according to DOT guidelines.
- Maintains toxicology and laboratory supplies.
- Perform CLIA-waived and moderately complex testing.
- Maintains billing and coding for laboratory procedures.
Minimum of one year phlebotomy and medical terminology experience in a healthcare setting preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
(This is not an all-inclusive list of knowledge, skills, and abilities. For further information please reach out to our human resource department.)
- High school diploma required.
- On the job training includes competency verification by observation of skills performed. Eight Continuing Education units related to job duties required yearly.
- Listens attentively, communicates effectively, and meets patient’s needs by answering their questions in order to promote a positive relationship.
- Identifies patient following the proper patient identification procedures.
- Collects and identifies specimens for transfusion service testing.
- Directs patients to blood drawing area and restroom in order to obtain the ordered sample.
- Receives specimens delivered to the lab and directly from patients to perform requested lab tests. Documents specimen collection information correctly on all specimen records.
- Performs CLIA waved and moderately complex testing within the scope of the clinic testing menu.
- Demonstrates competence and works independently in essential phlebotomy procedures sufficient to perform at a satisfactory level without supervision.
- Inquires about patient status, including fasting and time of last medication when collecting specimen.
- Performs venipunctures, finger sticks, heel sticks, blood culture collections to obtain a blood sample for ordered tests. Patient collection settings may include hospital inpatients and outpatients, nursing home residents, pediatric and newborn patients, and emergency and trauma room patients.
- Uses good clinical judgment in the selection of the puncture site appropriate for the age of the patient.
- Per diem position consisting of a variable schedule based on department need (0.00 FTE)
- Competitive health and dental insurance options
- Flexible paid time off to balance work and life
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match up to 5%
- Free State-of-the-art fitness facility membership
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Employer provided life and disability insurance
Sauk Prairie Healthcare is a nationally-recognized system of primary and specialty services headquartered in a new state-of-the-art facility. We set the standard for service excellence, patient safety, and overall quality.
Interested in an extraordinary career? Click the link to apply.