Title: Specimen Processor
FTE: 0.60 FTE (24 hours/week)
Schedule: 8:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. with variation to cover scheduling needs
Holiday Rotation: 3-4 per calendar year
Weekend Rotation: Every third weekend
Performs venipuncture and capillary punctures to procure specimens for laboratory analysis. Serves patients of all ages from newborn through geriatric. Performs clerical functions such as filing, word processing, answering telephones, faxing results, scheduling, and preparing specimens to be sent to reference laboratories. Performs urine toxicology and alcohol collections according to DOT guidelines. Maintains toxicology and laboratory supplies. Performs CLIA-waived and moderately complex testing. Maintains billing and coding for laboratory procedures.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Listen attentively, communicate effectively, and meet patient’s needs by answering their questions in order to promote a positive relationship.
- Identify patient following the proper patient identification procedures.
- Collect and identify specimens for transfusion service testing.
- Direct patients to blood drawing area and restroom in order to obtain the ordered sample.
- Receive specimens delivered to the lab and directly from patients to perform requested lab tests. Documents specimen collection information correctly on all specimen records.
- Perform CLIA waved and moderately complex testing within the scope of the clinic testing menu.
- Demonstrate competence and works independently in essential phlebotomy procedures sufficient to perform at a satisfactory level without supervision.
- Inquire about patient status, including fasting and time of last medication when collecting specimen.
- Perform venipunctures, finger sticks, heel sticks, blood culture collections to obtain a blood sample for ordered tests. Patient collection settings may include hospital inpatients and outpatients, nursing home residents, pediatric and newborn patients, and emergency and trauma room patients.
- Use good clinical judgment in the selection of the puncture site appropriate for the age of the patient.
- Distribute proper specimen containers and instructs patients on collection of random and 24-hour samples.
- Administer Trutol glucose beverage and collects specimens of blood and urine from patients.
- Teach Technical and University students in phlebotomy techniques.
- Coordinate specimen collection procedures.
- Perform Urine/Blood non-DOT and DOT drug screen collections.
- Process paper work for non-DOT and DOT drug screen collections, including faxing MRO copies and mailing employer copies.
- Maintain adequate supplies, collection containers and Chain of Custody forms for urine drug screen collections.
- Verify specimen requirements for all laboratory tests including reference laboratory tests. Ability to relay detailed specimen collection information to appropriate personnel.
- Process samples per specimen collection/processing procedures.
- Process collected specimen for distribution to the appropriate lab personnel for testing. Communicates special testing requirements to testing personnel (i.e. STAT specimen, Fax results, etc.).
- Perform Specimen Processing troubleshooting as needed. Alerts Laboratory Director or Hospital Laboratory Liaison about situations where further assistance is needed.
- Ensure that all blood drawing trays are kept stocked with appropriate blood drawing supplies.
- Assist leadership in other duties as needed as proficiency in other areas of laboratory testing is demonstrated.
- Answer the phone promptly and courteously.
- Greet and provide services to all patients and visitors to the department.
- Answer phone inquiries regarding Laboratory Test results and refer specific test procedure questions to Laboratory Director or Hospital Laboratory Liaison. Transfers calls in order to assure department efficiency.
- Accurately enters test orders into the lab information system (LIS) including diagnosis codes. Files the orders appropriately.
- Verify and resolve test orders that seem inappropriate.
- Look up patient test results in LIS. Prints, reprints, or faxes results as necessary. Sends test results to Physicians via the appropriate method. File copies of test results, authorization forms and test orders. Processes paperwork with attention to detail, completing tasks with accuracy and precision.
- Must be able to follow detailed directions and to follow direction of leadership.
- Release patient test information only to a physician or clinical staff or as directed on the physician order, in accordance with HIPAA.
- Telephone and fax verified laboratory reports as they become available.
- Type reports, letters, memos, policies and procedures at the direction of the leadership.
- Maintain inventory of department supplies and orders supplies as needed.
- Coordinate paperwork for reference labs including charges and pathology charges for procedures.
- Perform cleaning of phlebotomy trays, work areas, centrifuges, counters in order to meet safety and OSHA requirements. Documents on maintenance logs.
- Maintain strict confidentiality.
- Create and download reference laboratory results online.
- Obtain patient information in order to complete service record.
- Check reference laboratory bills for accuracy.
- Promote and contribute to a safe workplace by abiding by all regulations and policies and by reporting unsafe work practices and/or physical conditions to departmental director.
- Attend staffing meetings, in-services, and/or reads technical journals in order to remain current on technical procedures, lab policies, compliance with safety, and quality assurance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Required: High school diploma
- Preferred: None
Licenses and Registrations
- Required: None
- Preferred: Minimum of one-year phlebotomy and medical terminology experience in a healthcare setting
- Required: None
- Preferred: None
- Required: None
- Preferred: Certification as a Phlebotomy Technician (or equivalent) by a national accrediting agency preferred.
Interested in an extraordinary career? Click the link to apply.
- Competitive health and dental insurance options
- Flexible paid time off to balance work and life
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Free membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Employer provided life and disability insurance