Supervisor - ER/Urgent Care
Title: Supervisor – ER/Urgent Care
FTE: 1.0 (40 hours per week)
Schedule: Primarily Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM with evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed
The Emergency Department and Urgent Care Supervisor is a registered nurse who has responsibility for the supervision of patient care, nursing personnel, and unit operations. This individual helps ensure the 24-hour delivery of high-quality services, manages resources and people, quality and performance improvement and serves as a role-model for SPH’s values and mission. The Supervisor may provide direct patient care as needed and maintains an expert knowledge base for nursing practice. This position consults with staff to monitor clinical practice, works with staff to effect change, and performs customer service. The position is also responsible for oversight of general administrative duties such as payroll, performance evaluations, recruitment and scheduling. The supervisor position serves as back up to the Director – Emergency Department/Urgent Care in his/her absence.
POSITION TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
Clinical Practice and Service Delivery:
- Serves as a role model, demonstrating effective patient care, leadership and professional behavior.
- Coordinates and supervises day-to-day activities to ensure efficient and effective delivery of nursing services in collaboration with the Emergency Department/Urgent Care Director.
- Collaborates with the Director in the development of standards of care and practice, policies and procedures, and assures the integration and implementation of such into day-to-day work processes.
- Serves as a resource to clinical staff; ensuring compliance with applicable regulatory standards and incorporating research findings into practice.
- Fulfills staff nurse duties, performing patient care, as needed, as referenced in the registered nurse job description.
- Reinforces optimal service delivery based on SPH’s mission and assessed needs of the department.
- Reinforces SPH service excellence standards in the daily work of the department staff.
- Coordinates and collaborates with other leaders and clinical staff.
- Supports the trauma program through implementation of best practices and process improvement to maintain SPH’s Level III trauma certification.
- In collaboration with the Emergency Department Director and Facilities Director, facilitates emergency preparedness/disaster planning for the organization.
- Assumes management responsibilities in the absence of the Emergency Department/Urgent Care Director.
- Works with the Director to develop capital and operating budgets.
- At the request of the Director, performs utilization review audits.
- Identifies and participates in the resolution of recurring operational deficiencies.
- Ensures optimal use of supplies, space, and equipment through observation and education.
- Monitors fiscal reports in collaboration with the Director.
- Provides day-to-day supervision of unit staff, overseeing work flow and ensuring throughput.
- Assists Director in management of payroll functions.
- Participates in the recruiting and hiring of nursing staff and facilities new employee onboarding and orientation.
- Evaluates employee performance as assigned and ensures competency.
- Works with the Department Director to provide coaching, counseling, development, and recognition to nursing staff.
- Manages and improves staff engagement.
- Responsible for ensuring staff compliance with all SPH-required activities.
- Manages staffing, scheduling, and daily work flow ensuring optimal patient satisfaction and productivity.
- Promotes and facilitates the development of interdisciplinary relationships with other members of the care team.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensures consistent quality and safety rounding to ensure HFAP and other regulatory standards are met.
- Effectively manages patient satisfaction and service excellence initiatives. Leads the department’s customer service team, closely monitoring patient satisfaction survey results and ensuring excellent reviews.
- Identifies and successfully addresses opportunities for improving departmental operations, monitoring outcomes and providing feedback when needed.
- Identifies and reacts to safety concerns and evaluates the impact of related responses.
- Addresses event reports and analyzes strategies for appropriate follow-up.
- Participates in developing and implementing organizational strategies to address opportunities to improve the delivery and cost efficiency of health care to patients.
- Works collaboratively with interdepartmental groups such as the quality department and infection control to perform process improvement initiatives and ensure safety and quality checks and audits are in place.
- Reviews and updates policies and procedures as requested by the Director.
- Serves as a superuser in the department on the EMR.
- Participates in professional organizations in areas applicable to the emergency department, trauma, disaster, pediatrics, etc.
- Participates in community outreach and safety events.
- Oversees the department EMS liaison to promote positive relations and collaboration with local EMS agencies.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited college
- Preferred: Master’s degree in Nursing (MSN)
- Required: 3-5 years of critical care, inpatient care, or trauma nursing experience, with the most recent experience occurring within the last 2 years.
- Preferred: Recent experience as an Emergency Department nurse and/or charge nurse.
- Required: Current licensure as a registered nurse in the state of Wisconsin
- Preferred: None
- Required: Basic Life Support (BLS) within 3 months of appointment; Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advance Life Support (PALS) with 1 year of appointment, Trauma Nursing Core Course (TNCC) with 1 year of appointment, and Emergency Nurses Pediatric Course (ENPC) within 1 year of appointment.
- Preferred: National certification in Emergency Nursing, Pediatric Emergency Nursing, Critical Care Nursing, and/or Trauma Nursing
- Competitive health and dental insurance options
- Flexible paid time off to balance work and life
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and employer match
- Free membership to our state-of-the-art fitness facility
- Generous tuition reimbursement
- Employer provided life and disability insurance
- Free parking at facility
Interested in an extraordinary career? Click the link to apply.