POSITION: Floral Assistant/Gift Merchandiser
REPORTS TO: Floral Manager
Overall purpose – Grow sales by providing world class customer service.
The primary responsibility of the Floral Designer is to cut live, dried or silk flowers and other greenery and arrange them into displays of various sizes and shapes for use as bouquets, corsages, centerpieces, wreaths, etc. for weddings, funerals, holidays, day-to-day use and other special occasions. May include accessories such as balloons, candles, toys, and candy and gift baskets.
- Creates real and artificial flower arrangements.
- Designs and fashions live, cut, dried and artificial floral and foliar arrangements for events such as holidays, anniversaries, weddings and funerals.
- Takes orders over the phone or in person. Confers with client regarding price and type of arrangement desired.
- Plans arrangements according to the client’s requirements and costs, utilizing knowledge of design and properties of materials, or selects appropriate standard design pattern.
- Drives the floral delivery vehicle to make regular deliveries to customers.
- Waters plants.
- Cuts, conditions and cleans flowers and foliage for storage.
- Selects flora and foliage for arrangements, working with numerous combinations to synthesize and develop new creations.
- Wraps and prices completed arrangements.
- Trims material and arranges bouquets, wreaths, terrariums and other items using trimmers, shapers, wire, pins, floral tape, foam and other materials.
- Informs customers about the care, maintenance and handling of various flowers, foliage, indoor plants and other items.
- Decorates or supervises the decoration of buildings, halls, churches or other facilities for parties, weddings and other occasions.
- Performs general cleaning duties in the store to ensure the shop is clean and tidy.
- Creates and changes in-store and window displays, designs and looks to enhance the store’s image.
- Creative gift merchandising, displays, and showroom upkeep
- Other duties as assigned.
The minimum requirements for this position include the following:
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Excellent problem-solving skills; strong attention to detail; good follow up skills; and ability to work with different types of people.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Creativity, a flair for arranging flowers and foliage, and a desire to learn.
- Secondary training and education in floral design preferred but not required.
- Must have a valid current driver’s license.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Frequent repetitive motion (cutting and arranging flowers, etc.).
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds on an occasional basis.