Retail Team Member
The Retail Team Member position is a very important position at Consumers Cooperative. A team member provides the highest degree of service to all customers, ensuring courtesy, honesty and accuracy at all times, while following all pertinent laws and procedures. At Consumers Cooperative, a cashier is always expected to greet and serve guests, process register transactions, prepare food, maintain food safety and sanitation standards, and handle or process light paperwork. Customer service is a major component and the most important responsibility of the position. Starting at up to $15/hour!
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Customer service - assists customers with their purchases in a friendly and courteous manner, including greeting all inside and outside customers; providing information on products and their location; using suggestive selling techniques; accurately ringing up purchases, accepting payment, and giving change; and providing any additional courtesy services within reason.
- Serve as a first point of contact for customer concerns. Proactively listen, and resolve a customer complaint to the best of your ability. Refer situations outside of your control to a direct supervisor or manager immediately ensuring a customer complaint is heard and responded to in an expedient manner.
- Assists in maintaining the Company image inside and outside the building by completing all assigned housekeeping duties, including stocking, facing, cleaning, and ensuring that the Company standards are met at all times. Checks in, prices, and stocks merchandise as assigned. Contributes to company image by wearing the company approved uniform at all times including a name tag throughout the shift.
- Complies with all procedures for handling, controlling and accounting for company monies, merchandise, food & beverage, gasoline, and lottery during the assigned shift. Displays the highest degree of integrity while working for the Company, and when dealing with the general public. Complies with all security procedures and accurately handles all monies received according to Company procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining various food service programs, where applicable, including: product handling, operating procedures, quality control assurance, sanitation, merchandising and routine equipment maintenance. Prepares food neatly, accurately and in a timely manner. Checks and restocks items to ensure a sufficient supply throughout the shift. Demonstrates a complete understanding of menu items and explains it to guests accurately. Exhibits a cheerful and helpful manner when dealing with guests.
- Adheres to all laws, regulations, and policies that affect the Company’s operations, including alcohol and tobacco sales, lottery sales and redemption, government assistance program usage, sanitation and food handling, gasoline sales, and perishable products. Ensures that all safety precautions and procedures are complied with while on duty. Understands and adheres to all quality standards, formulas and procedures, and proper food handling/food safety requirements
- Ability to acquire and maintain a food service sanitation certificate
- Ability to acquire a village retail sales liquor certificate
- Earn and maintain petroleum Class C operator license
- Occasionally exposed to extreme weather conditions
- May be required to work occasionally at varying heights
- The retail team member must possess the ability to stand in places for long periods of time; walk in the store; bend, stoop and kneel regularly. Requires fine finger and broad manual dexterity, and eye-hand-foot coordination in order to operate equipment
- Physical ability to stand for extended periods and to move and handle boxes of merchandise and fixtures throughout the store. This includes the ability to twist, turn, bend and lift up to 50 pounds. Reasonable accommodation may be considered
- Must utilize proper lifting technique and ergonomics
- Dress appropriately and maintain grooming standards
- Be familiar with spill prevention procedures and be able to quickly terminate flow of product with emergency shut off switches if necessary
A retail Team Member position at Consumers Cooperative is an hourly position. Part-time team members will work a maximum of 28 hours per week. Full-time team members are required to work a minimum of 40 hours per week. Full-time team members may be required to work overtime to meet the operational needs of the location. Consumers Cooperative retail locations are open early and close late. Hours and schedules will vary by location. Retail Team Members may be required to work evenings and weekends as necessary. Store schedules are determined by the location manager or supervisor.
Any conflicts, concerns or disagreements shall be addressed initially to your location manager. If an acceptable solution is not reached with your location manager, then the situation may be escalated at either the team members or managers request to the C-Store operations Manager. If a situation continues to be unresolved, a meeting may be scheduled with your store manager and the General Manager. This is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities or duties. A location manager may require specific job functions in addition to this job description. The policies and procedures in this job description are continually evaluated and may be amended, modified or terminated at any time. For a more exhaustive evaluation of employee conduct and benefits please refer to the Consumers Cooperative Employee Handbook.